Monday, October 11, 2010

Robot



Robot (2010)
Language: Hindi dub
in theaters

Synopsis: A scientist creates a first of it's kind android, named Chitti, who can do just about anything. He wants to try and sell Chitti for use with the military, but after a failed interview with the board and his mentor, he was rejected. Being told that Chitti can't be used in the military since he has no moral values (i.e. he would kill on command even if it's subject was the commanding officer), Dr. Vaseegaran gives him a moral code/philosophy which causes Chitti to fall in love with Dr. Vaseegaran's girlfriend Sana. Things begin to get complicated after that...

The Good
+ graphics... this was the most expensive Indian film to date made with a budget of $35 million. C'mon USA, if India can make something this well done with half the budgets we use? Very well done CGI, and the action scenes were fantastic.
+ action! It's been a while since I've seen action this well done/creative.
+ Aishwarya Rai Bachchan was SMOKING HOT. Seriously, she was so gorgeous! Flawless make up, amazing outfits... she's seriously becoming a favorite actress of mine.
+ Song picturizations... this movie probably has some of the best song cuts ever, just for the costumes and filming style alone. Did I mention Aishwarya was smoking hot?
+ the dubbing. I pretty much forgot this was a Hindi dub of a Tamil film. I could tell Aishwarya dubbed her own voice, is that the case for the other actors too?


The Bad
+ length. At least 30-45 minutes of the film could've been cut out. As I joked with a friend, I don't think Indian film believe in deleted scenes.
+ The biggest pet peeve I have with Indian cinema, I hate how they pair quite older male stars with female leads that are half their age, or in this case, old enough to be her father. At least it didn't feel too bad since make up helped him look younger.
+ The clear message that rich upper class is superior to the lower class. I can see this film not being popular everywhere in India for that. This was a friend of mine's first time seeing an Indian film, and even he noticed this.

Final Thoughts: Was this movie worth watching? A million times yes! Amazing action, costumes, graphics. It was just an awesome experience and excellent movie to show friends that were unfamiliar with Bollywood and the like. The only complaint I had was the theater I was in had their sound way too high, so I had to cover my ears occasionally.

Rating 4.5/5

Favorite Song: Naina Miley... this is the Tamil version of the song in the video

4 comments:

  1. Hey, just came across your blog and read about how you are a fan of mani ratnam and madhavan.

    I find it facinating that a non-indian actually likes our indian films.

    So, I take the liberty to suggest a few indian films:

    1. Aayutha Ezhuthu
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayutha_Ezhuthu

    A classic Mani Ratnam film with superb performances by Maddy and Surya

    2. Kaaka Kaaka
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaaka_Kaaka

    Another great tamil film by Gautham; this is film which "made" Surya's career. Great music again by Harris Jayaraj.

    3. Vinnaithaandi Varuvaayaa
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinnaithaandi_Varuvaayaa

    A love story between a tamil hindu boy and a christian Malayalee girl. Great music by rahman.

    I hope you do watch them and write reviews. :P
    You will find all these films on utube with eng subs.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry that the comment is not in anyways relevant to the actual post. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Anonymous, for your comments and suggestions! It makes me happy that someone has stumbled across my blog :) I'm sad that blogger won't allow me to properly reply to your comments so I hope you see this.

    I'll gladly see these films and review them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are welcome Liz.

    Happy viewing :P

    The Indian film industry is a vast body which no one (not even indians) can fully comprehend becoz you have films coming out in Hindi, tamil, telugu, Malayalam, Kannada, Marathi, Punjabi, Bhojpuri, bengali etc etc........

    I watch films made in tamil, malayalam, hindi and telugu films. since they are the biggest and largest and more importantly becoz I know these languages.

    Cheers,
    Ajit

    ReplyDelete