Friday, November 12, 2010

Vinnaithaandi Varuvaaya



title: Vinnaithaandi Varuvaaya (2010)
language: Tamil
youtube

Synopsis: Karthik (Silambarasan) is a Hindu boy who falls in love with his Christian neighbor Jessie (Trisha Krishnan). Their love is complicated by her father's rejection of her marrying a non-Christian.

The Good
+ Everyone already knows how obsessed I am about cinematography. That being said, for such a basic film, it was filmed VERY nicely. Loved the varying shades of blue and how Trisha's wardrobe always popped against the scenery.
+ A.R. Rahman did the music. Need I say more? Very catchy songs!
+ If that really was Kerala, WOW! Very gorgeous place and it totally makes me want to visit.

The Bad
+ Once again, another film where the boy's perseverance in his love comes off as a totally stalker/creeper (I still think SRK is the master of this role, complete with heavy breathing in Dil Se).
+ There were a few cultural aspects that didn't quite translate to me. Why was it so horrible that the girl was 1 year older than the boy? Is that a genuine issue?
+ Jessie frustrated me more than anything with her indecisive nature. "Leave me alone" "no, I want to be with you." "Wait, no leave me alone" - Make up your mind!

Final Thoughts: Was this movie worth watching? This is actually a tough call for me. I know this was quite a successful movie when it came out (made in Telugu at the same time and a Hindi version coming out soon), but I'm really not a fan of these movies where the guy relentlessly chases the girl because he's so in love with her. I actually felt sorry for the girl (then later was frustrated with her in above argument), having been in similar awkward situations she was put in, yet I never did find myself returning the feelings. Maybe I'm biased (I most likely am). I talked to a friend about this earlier today, and he mentioned this was a popular theme in 90's Indian cinema, and is always entertained how the guy gets the girl in the end. I just think this is whole concept sends the wrong message (But then again, who said cinema is real life?). Ok, rant finished. I'd say it's totally worth watching for the music and the cinematography.

Rating: 3/5... the music saved it for me. I was rather disappointed with it overall. I was hoping a really good drama of how inter-religious relationships are totally acceptable. Which it was... but I'd rather not have a stalker as the leading man.

Favorite song: Kannukkul Kannai


And Hosanna

6 comments:

  1. Hey, I am sorry that you did not like it!

    There are a couple of things that I think I should clear.

    1. While Karthik's character might come across as a stalker to you, there are a few things which make him do it.
    a. It is his first love, which he keeps repeating in the film.
    b. The concept of a "single love, single marriage" which is ingrained in many Indian's minds.
    c. Her initial rejection which is based on religion, what her parents would say, she is older etc (which he does not think is reasonable).

    As much as we Indians love our films, generally, we are not open about love as a whole. What I saw in this film is a "attempted" honest portrayal of love in India.

    As people say, marriages in India are not between people, but between families and all the factors including parent's consent come into play.

    and the ending was pretty good, where finally they do not get married but go their different ways. It happens in India; happened to people I know. and Jessie portrays that really well.

    2. Age difference is a big thing; especially when it comes to arranged marriages; atleast for the elders.

    3. Kerala is beautiful. We call it "God's own country". I grew up in Kerala and love it.
    Many places in Kerala like Kumarakom, Allapuzha are like venice..... full of backwaters etc. and it is a major tourist hub.

    4. Judging by your reviews, I dont think you will like the 3rd film I had recommended. It is an intense film, where the bad guy is brutal.

    Do you want more film recommendations? :) haha!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I totally understand that, I do. Just as an American, it comes off as being too intense and borderline stalker. Unfortunately with that frameset in my mind, it makes watching the movie a little difficult since in America his behavior wouldn't really be seen as acceptable. And since I've seen this behavior in a few other films, it's kind of annoying.

    I would've preferred the whole "We're friends, but not really" struggle a little bit longer. ...Maybe I related this too much to my own life hahaha!

    I did like the ending for that reason, that it didn't end in the way you'd expect (and I guess more realistically?). I was sad for Karthik, actually. Again, thanks for reminding me of the cultural differences (love vs. arranged).

    2. I understand it being a big deal, but with just a 1 year difference, I didn't really see why it was an issue.

    3. "it is a major tourist hub" - I bet it is! The whole time I was like, "I want to go there! WOOOOW!". Lucky you seeing such gorgeous setting!

    4. I don't mind intense films. I actually tried looking for it on youtube, but the user that had it, had the videos removed. When I read the description on Wikipedia, it sounded interesting.

    Sure! I'm always open for more recommendations! I enjoy these conversations too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A pity that kaakha kaakha is not not youtube. It is a great film; I watched it trice (same day) in the theatre when it released long back when I was a college student!

    Maybe it is on some other website, I could check if you want.....

    hmmm, more recommendations.....

    1. Minnale: Tamil; one of the biggest hits of Madhavan, since u like him so much :)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnale

    2. Mozhi: tamil; A beautiful love story which basically says that love does not have any language.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozhi

    3. Munnabhai MBBS: a superb hindi film which talks about Doctors.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munnabhai_MBBS

    4. Abhiyum Naanum: Tamil; father-daughter relationship.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abhiyum_Naanum

    5, I dont know if you would like old films. 80's and 90's are supposed to be the golden age of Malayalam cinema. The "story" was the important thing back then with not much "masala" content. Some brilliant films were made in that time, which depicted the society in Kerala in that age.
    for example:
    1. Thoovanathumbikal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thoovanathumbikal

    2. Dasharatham
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0237138/

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow that's alot times to see a film in a theater! I admit I did that when the first Lord of the Rings movie came out; I saw it 3 times in the theater. Moulin Rouge is the only film I can think of that I watched twice in one day (on video, though).

    I've been wanting to see Minnale, but I can only find the Hindi version online... Still had Madhavan in it, so I'm ok with that (despite my dislike of Saif Ali Khan).

    I haven't seen any Malayalam films. I know my local Indian theater plays some from time to time, but they never have English subtitles (only the Hindi films released do).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just tried to find online copies of KK and minnale and I have found them but they do not have eng subs :) U still want them?

    btw, how could I forget to not include 4 of the greatest films of mani ratnam in the list;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalapathi
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nayagan
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roja
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombay_(film)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nah, there's no point in me watching a film without subtitles. I'd be hopeless lost since I don't know any of the languages with exception of maybe a few random Hindi words.

    Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete