Sunday, August 15, 2010

Kal Ho Naa Ho



Film: Kal Ho Naa Ho (2003)
Language: Hindi
youtube links

Synopsis: Naina lives in New York with her family minus her father who had committed suicide some time ago. She's pretty irritable between the loss of her dad and her grandmother refusing to acknowledge her granddaughter, Naina's sister. Enter her visiting neighbor from India, Aman, who proceeds to initially irritate her more and turn her world upside down. And by upside down, I mean fall madly in love with him. But the entire time, Aman is hiding a secret and works his magic to get Naina together with her friend/classmate Rohit.

The Good
+ Acting, by everyone. Even though the storyline wasn't entirely anything new, it was very well acted.
+ The movie kept me completely invested the entire time. Typically if I'm watching a Bollywood film on my own at home, I never watch it all in one sitting. For this film, I actually did. It never grew sluggish at any point to me.

The Bad
+ The messed up "Oh, Pretty Woman" song. I guess it was great for the hilarity of it all, but bad song cover is bad.
+ The blatant racism against the Chinese. What was up with that? Totally not needed to be in the film and rather surprising it was. Even though, I have to admit the Lagaan song playing during that scene had me chuckle.
+ Some of the wardrobe choices. From SRK's crazy BRIGHT orange pants to Saif's questionable clubbing shirt, I don't know what was going on.

Final Thoughts: This is definitely one of my top 5 favorite Bollywood films, and probably my favorite SRK film. He tends to go over the top in his films (which, honestly, I don't mind typically until he starts crying), but I felt he kept himself in check in this film. It had the right amount of comedy, sadness, and all over joy.

Rating: 4.5/5

Favorite Song: It was hard to pick... It's the time to disco & Kal Ho Naa Ho. (Of all the playback singers, Sonu Nigam is the only one I know/can pick out easily. I LOVE his voice, and feel it fits SRK almost perfectly for his lipsynching)



No comments:

Post a Comment