Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Rang De Basanti



Film: Rang De Basanti (2006)
Language: Hindi
Netflix streaming

Synopsis: A British film maker (journalist?) had been reading a journal written by her grandfather who worked at a jail during the Indian independence movement in the 1920s. She's inspired by the 5 freedom fighters he had written about and wants to make a movie based off of them, but is refused the funding. Sue then goes to India to make the film herself and becomes involved with a group of college kids whose lives start to prove similar as those of the 1920/1930s. A tragedy occurs that soon catapults them at the forefront of Indian politics fighting for justice.

The Good
+ The acting. This has to be the first Bollywood film I've seen with a foreign actor who was actually pretty decent. She didn't take away from the scenes like most do.
+ The large cast actually meshed well together and I felt like they genuinely got along well.
+ New-to-me storyline, kind of nice to see something other than a typical Rom-Com
+ Madhavan... again, I'm so crushing on this man
+ Aamir Khan really did look like a college-age student for once.

The Bad
+ I felt the movie was kind of long, but I also don't like political films that much, so really, it probably was fine.
+ Political songs are fine, but I didn't feel this was A.R. Rahman's best work (for what it's worth, I'm not a big fan of American patriotic songs)

Final Thoughts: Was it worth watching? Yes. I actually went into this film not realizing how much it was going to be about politics. That being said, the film doesn't revolve 100% around it, I'd say a good 60%. I did enjoy the coming together of the characters and their political activism for their friend's tragedy. A very realistic film, despite the fact they got a little carried away with their plans. I felt the worst for the female characters, though.

Rating: 3/5

Favorite Song: Tu Bin Bataye (loved the lyrics)

No comments:

Post a Comment